12 foods to eat while breastfeeding to increase milk supply

Hello guys, it's March!

A very Happy March....filled with fun and color.




Breastfeeding is challenging and it does require lots of patience in our first week of baby. Many mothers often did not able to have proper food while fulfilling the demand of the tiny person. They do not understand that taking food is utmost important thing at that crucial period. Yes, the first 3 to 4 days are very crucial. Whether you are new mom or experienced mom you will get overwhelmed due to the several pain from the body plus handling a new born. Feeding them, changing diapers and sleepless night added more stress to your body and mind.


To survive this mode you must have to eat at least three meal with snacks whenever possible. Baby's Latching and milk supply are interrelated. If your baby able to latch it properly then there is adequate milk supply. Because the more baby will take feed the more milk supply will be there. But for that you need to have proper nutrients as per the body demands.


Disclaimer :  I am not professional. I am sharing my experience. It might help to moms there.



This is my personal experience because I breastfeed my elder one till 2 year. And now this time I am breastfeeding my twins till date. Slowly they are in a weaning process. 😊


The most frequently asked question is how? 

How do you do it?

Do you produce adequate milk?

Does your babies are full?


The answer to all question is : YES 


On first day after delivery my pediatrician told me that I am able to proudce enough milk that can be fulfilled my twins. It took almost 3 days to have milk supply but from very first day  I was breastfeeding my both twin.


When our body start to produce milk ?

Generally our body took 3 days to produce milk. First yellow mucus start to flow and that you have to feed them. As soon as baby born doctor advised to latch them to breast. Whether they able to or not we have to put our areola in our baby's mouth. And then slowly our body start to produce milk. First we did not feel it but as your baby start to latch we have overflowing milk supply.


This is my experience of first week after the baby born. Almost everyone have the same experience I think, but very few whose having medical complications may face the issue. 


What I eat while breastfeeding to have proper milk supply?


Generally Doctor advised to have a balanced meal. But our Nanni and mother have different opinion. They will change your  meal completely. You have to take it at least for 2 and half months. Our Nanni will give such meal which is digestable to us and our new born baby. 


What I had this time while breastfeeding to my twins? 


1. Shatavari Powder : It has been advised by my doctor to have Shatavari in first few weeks. You can have it in water or in milk. It taste sweet. And it increase milk supply specially when you have a problem in first 3 days after delivery.


PS: Google

Shatavari is an Ayurvedic rasayana herb which is also known as the female-friendly herb. It is helpful in menstrual disorders and acts as a uterine tonic. It enhances breast development and increases breast milk production by regulating hormonal balance. 

(Info -Google)


PS: Google

2. Water : Water is the most important drink in everyone's life. But when you breast feed the baby your consumption should be double. My lactation consultant advised me to have 2 glass of water before and after breastfeeding. 


And trust me it really works. When I started feeding to my babies I often felt dehydrated. So I asked my doctor. She told me to have more water. Apart from this drink one full glass of water after every meal. I used to drink lukewarm water. I filled the two thermas and kept near my bed.



PS: Google

3. Milk : Yes, you have to drink plenty of milk. I used to drink 1 full glass of milk in the morning with 2 methi laddu. And then I eat my breakfast that mostly in liquid form. 

I grind the Chapati /paratha in the mixi with homemade ghee and mix with milk. 1 large bowl of milk with this chapati.


Sometimes I had kheer. Specially suji kheer, vermicelli kheer, alive kheer. It should be at least 1 bowl. In every milk item I always add jaggery powder. 


PS : Tarladalal.com

4. Fenugreek Methichi Bhaji 

Methichi bhaji is one of the most important vegetables. It not only boost my milk supply but also I did not face any constipation. I had  clear bowl movement. Which is most important part of moms life after delivery.

This green leafy vegetables should be prepared without green chilli. And it was in liquid form so that I can add grinded chapati or bajara bhakari.




5. Soup : 

I had chicken soup and   mutton Paya soup  twice a week. It was  without red chilli powder. Add up whole garam masala in small quantity. 


You may like to read : 

Tips for healthy eating - new mom

Indian diet for twin pregnancy

Badam Shake for pregnant and breastfeeding moms

6. Moong Dal : 

Moong dal is easy to digest on our tummy and our baby tummies too. So give tadka with rai, jeera, curry leaves, and Garlic (very important ) salt and boil it. Have it with spoon of ghee. 


7. Chicken Curry :

Chicken is easy to digest and it is protein packed. It also help in motion . I had it thrice a week. I am purely non vegetarians and so I like it. It should be prepared in goda masala which is special for new mom's food only. Non spicy and not too much oily.


8. Egg :

You all know very well about eggs nutrition value. I had it almost two in every day. Subject to condition it would be good if it is pure Desi egg. (Gavathi egg)


PS : Google

9. Laddu :

This is one of my favorite item in my meal. I had it in the morning with my milk and then whenever I feel hungry I ate it. The whole laddu tin is in my bedroom only.😋

I had gond laddu and methi laddu. These are required to eat to heal our bones specially our waist (kamar) In our delivery we all know our each bones is cracked (kidding ) but yes somehow it is same. To heal that we need to eat this gond and methi laddu. 



PS: Google

10. Bajara Bhakari 

It is one of the important food which help in produce milk. You should eat it as much as you can. I had it once either in a lunch or in a dinner. 


11. Fish 

Yes, it should be the part of your meal. Fish are filled with omega 3 which is required for a new mom. I had Bombay Duck which is easy go digest. Yes I had it in fried items just one piece. And mostly I had fish curry which is made in goda ma'sala. It taste yumm. 


PS : Google

12 : Fruits 

I ate Apples, pear, grapefruit and orange. Mostly C vitamin is the most important to my body. And I don't like to eat tablet. So for that I took Lemon water and fresh Orange juice.


These are 12 food which I ate and I had enough milk supply in first months. I ate only paratha and bhakari for first 20 days. Then slowly I started rice like 1 tbsp ans then increase the quantity. By having these meal me and my babies do not have any gas issue. 


Apart from this I had mukhaashuddi - it is mixture of ajwain, balshepa, dry coconut, and badishop. I used to ate it after my each meal. It helps in digestion , cough, and cold of both mummy and babies.


I am Maharashtrian. Every state has its own food culture. I shared mine - the most basic and most important food which increase my milk supply and had healthy postpartum period.


And most important accept your body. Time heal everything. I leraned to enjoy each phase of our life. And do not take stress.


What kind of food you had when you were breastfeeding ?


This blog post is part of the blog challenge Blogaberry Dazzle hosted by Cindy DSilva and Noor Anand Chawla in collaboration with Mads' Cookhouse.




©Neeta Kadam. This article and image are the property of Memory Flies. Any unauthorized use or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author is strictly prohibited.


Comments

  1. Wow, Neeta...this is an excellent piece on nutrition for feeding moms. You have gotten all the best foods and researched a lot. Hope all new moms get to read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure breastfeeding moms are going to treasure this list. In fact, I find such healthy food useful for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your article is best for new moms. All the food you have stated is easy to make and easy to digest for new moms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Extremely informative blog. Am sure this will help everyone who is planning to have a child or has recently delivered. Eating a balanced diet during breastfeeding is as important for the mother as it is for the child

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something very beneficial post for the new mothers who breastfeed the baby . The list of foods that you mentioned here in this post are easily available and mothers don’t need to make much efforts to arrange them for their intake. A healthy mother is equal to a healthy baby. Very useful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had known this back then. Of course I had a few of what you have mentioned. What you said is correct--every state has its own culture and food preferences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember those days Neeta! Breastfeeding is such a challenging job. These galactogogues are definitely going to help. Sharing with nursing moms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have heard from my aunt how breastfeeding was something she could not survive so well. I think due to lack of awareness she had to suffer than what she thought it to be. this post is best as you have portrayed so well the entire schedule one must follow .

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so nice that you are sharing your experience Neeta. There are plenty of new mommies out there who would benefit from tips from experienced mothers... keep them coming... kaveri.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a helpful post, definitely it's gonna help a lot of new moms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How I wish I could have read this 9 years ago. I struggled with breastfeeding with my 1st one which almost left us to a dangerous situation if we weren't fast enough to rush her to the ER. That's why as much as I would encourage new moms how breastfeeding is great, I also add an additional tip to be ready with a small can of formula milk of choice just in case your milk won't flow yet as planned. What you don't want is to end up with a baby dehydrated from being deprived of drinking milk without you even knowing😞 - MommyWithAGoal

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really helpful, thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very informative post. You have shared natural options that are easy to do. In our days, we used to have gond ladoos that helped in healing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The blog is packed with useful information. I think it will be helpful for everyone who is pregnant or has just given birth. The mother and child benefit from a healthy, well-balanced diet while nursing.
    And yes, every state has its own food culture. When my daughter was born, my doctor advised me that I could take curd rice(she was from the south) and we, north Indians, avoid curd after cesarian delivery.
    -Anjali

    ReplyDelete
  15. This blog post is informative and provides valuable insights into the challenges Your personal experience and tips on how to maintain milk supply through a balanced diet are useful for new mothers. It is commendable that your acknowledge that you are sharing your personal experience.

    Overall, the post is helpful and can serve as a guide for mothers who are navigating the challenges of breastfeeding in the first few days of their baby's life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A well researched and very informative post for new mothers. It was great that you shared your personal experieces as well. Those are always more helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Food is such an important part of post natal care. Our elders took such good care. Your post will be great for new moms

    ReplyDelete
  18. Forwarding this to my sister-in-law who delivered a baby boy less than a month ago!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very informative blog. I am sure this will help to the new parents who is planning to have a child or has recently delivered. I will forward it to my friends who have been blessed with newborn babies.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your post brought back so many memories. My mom too insisted that I eat healthy food and gave me all kinds of home remedies for milk production. They really helped.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a helpful post to mothers who are in the phase of delivering their baby or lactating. As a mom to 2, I can vouch by these foods too. Shatavari has helped me a lot with milk supply. I would also add panjiri to this list which is almost like dink laddu.

    ReplyDelete
  22. During my pregnancy days, I so loved eating laddus and food with ghee. They are delicious and healthy too. I so agree with your recommendations. I shall forward it to a friend who is expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Post filled with helpful facts for breast feeding new mothers .

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such an useful post for breast feeding new mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very useful post for new moms

    ReplyDelete
  26. In my family we make Panjiri, which is kind of similar to the ladoo you mentioned. My diet was similar to yours when I was breastfeeding.
    Noor

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty of Kashmir

Baby Shower

Learning Activities for Preschoolers