Featured post

HEALTHY DINNER FOR WEEK : MARCH 2024

Image
How are you ? April is started already and how life is going? Steady or with full speed? Mine is going with full speed. Mini vacation are over and school has started. Again we are busy with school, study little bit and toddlers play time. Healthy dinners are the most important part of our Indian houses. We Indian families have everyday dinner together because it is the time where we meet each other and we talk with each other.  This was the scene of our childhood lives. Many of you agreed with it.  But,  In my house dinner time is where we strictly off the screens whether it is big or small screens and talk over the meal.  Dinner is the special time where we all have meals with discussion and laughter so we did it mindfully.  A healthy dinner has always been my goal. Earlier there was a house help when my baby was small but now we don't have any help. So the goal is to cook food at home and have a meal with the family, which is sometimes very difficult. But with meal planning I ma

Bhatukali in vacation

Bhatukali -How many of you know this game? 

I guess kids in the 90s and before that must know BHATUKALI. Still, if you don't know, not to worry, stick to the whole post.



End of an era of online school

Gyan we learn from our kids : 

Be calm, accept the situation and enjoy it to the fullest. Our kids enjoyed the school in the same way (like offline)Irritating the teacher by asking questions like which subject is today? Can we write? Which lesson mam? Are you sending this in what's app group? Etc. 

For kids, it was more fun but the truth is they missed school, friends, and teachers. Due to online schooling, we are able to evaluate our kid's performance as well as " teachers" performance. We get to know the flaws and strengths of our kids. As a parent, we should utilize it.

Now it is vacation time and still, we have to schedule our kid's day, is it really necessary? This means, nowadays schools have everything in their syllabus from guitar to painting. But still, every parent feels to keep them busy.

Why?

Let them get bored. Let them allow to play in the sunlight. Let them play in the mud.  Let them play barefoot. Let them be tired. Let them decide what they want to do on a vacation. Introduce a few indoor board games and play as a family.

Do you remember, when we were kids, how much we used to play?  At that time we have no restrictions on playing from our parents. We used to play from morning to night with lunch n snacks break. Right? Then why do we putting such restrictions on our kids? Is it overparenting? What do you think?

Bhatukali in summer camp.

Now summer camps are flooded all over social media.  I don’t like to spend a huge amount on such a summer camp. But this time our colony had a summer camp. They actually conducted "sanskar Varg" for kids, which was very good for parents 😀because nowadays kids are arrogant and they have no compassion or kindness. (Not all but yes 60%) Even they don't know how to talk politely. 

Anyway, so I called them for the details. They said they have bhatukali. I literally jumped and without giving a second thought enroll my daughter.  It was ₹300 for 5 days with a unique activity. My daughter was also ready to join just because of this bhatukali.

OK, what is BHATUKALI?

My daughter asked the same question. I told her, that Bhatukali means real cooking with toy utensils. We used to prepare real meals like puri bhaji and dal rice with a toy kitchen set.




What to do?  Can we do it at home?

Well, the answer is yes, we can make it at home.

But this should be done with adult supervision. My Attya (bua-fathers sister) helps us with cooking. She actually built a small Chula ( gas with brick). We all friends bring cooking materials. Some bring oil, some bring potato, some bring wheat, and each one brings the necessary ingredients for the dish. We all cook and have a meal. This game took around 5 hours and we loved to play during our vacation.



During this summer camp, they decorate a toy kitchen set. Teachers teach kids how to knead the dough for poori, how to roll small puri, and how to fry it in oil. They allow each kid to perform these things. Cool  na! 

Then they also teach them how to boil potatoes and prepare a Sabji. They put the flame on Candle and made this "puri-bhaji" in the toy kitchen Kadai. Each child thoroughly enjoyed this. Because their mums do not even allow them in the kitchen and here they do so many cooking-related things.

How was the summer camp from my daughter's view?

It was fun and lovely. She enjoyed makings poori but got upset as she did not get a chance to fry them. I told her it was for everyone. One kid can not be allowed to do everything.  I assured her that I will allow her to fry the poori in my kitchen.😃 

Coming back to summer camp, she liked all activities except two -making Ballon girl and pot painting. 

I asked, Why?

Because we do pot, bottle, Diya painting every time mom. I am not able to make that Ballon girl so I don't like it. 😔

But I was happy that she enjoyed this small summer camp.

What were the activities?

pot painting 


Even a small child can do this Varali Painting. They give this pot with the Tulsi plant. They taught children how to plant the small tulsi.

Ballon girl

lifafa making from scrap

Bag from old t-shirt

stamping of leaves

Finger painting 


Candle painting

and some jumping 



I took one week from her vacation only when she was ready. The rest of the time she played with her friends. Every time she reminds me, mom it's my vacation. I will decide how to have fun. I said, yes madam.😇

But yes, she has a time limit too. Because once children start to play they forget to have a meal. I am happy because she is away from the screen. 

Conclusion: Reminder to the parents-

It is a children's vacation. 

Do allow kids to play outdoor.

Do not pack their schedule with unnecessary things. 

This is the best way to keep them away from the screen. 

This is my opinion. Do you agree mom? 

Do you introduce any such kind of old play to your kids? Did you play Bhatukali? Comment below. I would love to read.


This blog post is part of the blog challenge ‘Blogaberry Dazzle’ hosted by Cindy D’Silva and Noor Anand Chawla.' ---






©Neeta Kadam. This article and image are the property of Memory Flies. Any unauthorized use or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author is strictly prohibited.







Comments

  1. How I wish we could go back to the pre-internet era.Now kids too have become zombies.The toy kitchen set reminds of mine. I had a trunkful and there were all kids of dishes, posa pans, cups and saucers. You have rekindled my childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 😊😊glad that you like it. Yes, today's kids are really zombiee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well frankly speaking im the person who believes leave ur child to be bored and they will develop their skill better caz thats when they will think wisely what to do, loved this post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree when child get bored they develop new game. Thank you for reading. Glad that you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to call it ghar ghar and we made food using clay materials. Bhatukali is an amazing game and it can be used to teach the basic life skill of cooking and patience to children at an early age only. Loved your article! Took me back to old days

    ReplyDelete
  6. This brings memories from my childhood. But we do play this at home. Now my son and daughter cook for me

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea that this play has a name. It was a favourite during childhood. On a personal note, I wonder how we kept ourselves busy without summer camps during vacations. Never felt bored!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen a few videos of cooking in toy utensils but I didn't know it was called Bhatukali. I enjoyed reading about the summer camp you came up with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I plan to try this game with my niece once she is older- seems super cute and a great way to engage kids

    ReplyDelete
  10. Felt like ..we are in pre internet era.amazing way to add basic life skills.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post reminded me of my childhood. Vacations meant playing outside until it got dark. I am sure your daughter enjoyed the summer camp.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nostalgia. Cooking with friends used to be fun. Summer holiday memories relieved.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh. So it has a name as well. Never knew that. I mostly watched my sister playing this with her friends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you have everything covered for summer! Seriously glad you get to pass on your love for the game through the summer camp. It’s a nice feeling when we can so that for our kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should pass on these to our next generation. Otherwise we lost it.

      Delete
  15. Wow, I have so many memories I have of playing. I loved vacations because I could play with my friends. I'm sure your daughter loved her time in the summer camp.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow ! That's really cool idea. May be someday I also work on any such idea

    ReplyDelete
  17. your post made me soooo nostalgic Neeta. Kids these days don't play kitchen sets while I played it till I was in class 10... hahaha. Even we cooked on those tiny aluminum dishes n ate the food too. I like the summer camp stuff that was taught to your daughter... and your reasoning that they should be given time off activities as well 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. Glad that you like it.

      Delete
  18. Your post made me soooo nostalgic neeta... kids these days don't play kitchen sets but I did till I was in class 10... 😛. Even we cooked in those tiny aluminum dishes n we ate the food too. Btw, I love the summer camp stuff that your daughter did and also your thought that they should be given some time beyond activities as well 👍

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my God, I want to be a kid again. You took me to my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved reading the suggestions on summer holiday activities. Although, I do not completely agree with your generalize statement that "Kids are arrogant nowadays."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all kids but yes, most of them are arrogant.

      Delete
  21. Nice Neeta....
    Very well narrated. I still fondly remember the games played during my childhood. There were many alternatives and not much expensive during those days. Ample time away from screens and gadgets seems a luxury or treasure now .... Keep writing and much love to your kiddo...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, ofcourse I remember. I let them play all day except for meals and snacks time, art and nap time, right from 6am they are out and play all day. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  23. We played a lot with toy kitchen and utensils. Nowadays kids did not even know about this. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This phrase is completely new for me but sounds like your daughter had a lovely summer vacation!
    Noor

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty of Kashmir

Baby Shower

Learning Activities for Preschoolers

Happiness is selfmade