Featured post

HEALTHY DINNER FOR WEEK : MARCH 2024

Image
How are you ? April is started already and how life is going? Steady or with full speed? Mine is going with full speed. Mini vacation are over and school has started. Again we are busy with school, study little bit and toddlers play time. Healthy dinners are the most important part of our Indian houses. We Indian families have everyday dinner together because it is the time where we meet each other and we talk with each other.  This was the scene of our childhood lives. Many of you agreed with it.  But,  In my house dinner time is where we strictly off the screens whether it is big or small screens and talk over the meal.  Dinner is the special time where we all have meals with discussion and laughter so we did it mindfully.  A healthy dinner has always been my goal. Earlier there was a house help when my baby was small but now we don't have any help. So the goal is to cook food at home and have a meal with the family, which is sometimes very difficult. But with meal planning I ma

BLW : Palak Chilla 8 Months +



Baby Lead Weaning with traditional and trusted food.

BLW  - It is a tough process but it teaches you lots of things 😁. Patience, calm and  motivation Right Mommies?  Who have gone through this phase ? 

They know it is tedious and hectic but we are in nurturing baby . Still every mom is highly motivated to do this task. 


What is BLW?

Baby Lead Weaning actually it is baby lead feeding. The stage where you have to start solid food to your baby.


With use of social media you get stimulated highly amount of information. But I trust mostly on our traditional food. I always consider to ask my mom or my bua what to feed and whether to feed it or not. Though everything available on our fingers tips.

And second thing is our mommy- gut feeling. Try our variation because you have to feed multiple times of the day to this tiny human. So do not get demotivated and go blindly our trusted traditional food for babies. 


How do you prepare food for babies?

When you are in a nuclear family where you are alone to cook meals and feed your family be smart and prepare two in one meal. So that you don't need to waste too much time in making meals and cleaning utensils. You know the more food preparation the more utensils need to wash. So do smart work. 


I am sharing easy BLW recipes and at the same time we adults can have too. You may know it  but trying it for baby is new for many moms. Because when I  served my babies I got the first question do they have teeth ? 

Baby don't need teeth to chew food. They can eat anything you give. Just make sure it should be soft and in small thin pieces.


Chilla / Pancake we usually have for breakfast. It is protein packed and for me easy peasy can be prepared in 10 minutes.


I am sharing baby friendly chilla / pancake recipes. First you make it for the baby and then add spices accordingly for the adults portion. 😉 smart work. Always sit as a family to eat the same food. 


Let's check out the recipe:


Palak Chilla ( 8 months + )

Ingredients :

1 cup besan

1/4 cup palak puree

1/2 small onion finely chopped ( optional)

Salt as per taste (skip if baby is below 12 months)

Black pepper powder 1/8 tsp

Jeera powder: 1/8 tsp

Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp

Carom Seeds / Ajwain: pinch 

Water to make a slurry as per requirement


Direction:

- To begin , mix all ingredients in besan. 

- Add slowly water and make lumpsfree slurry.

- Heat a skillet and apply some ghee.

- Pour 1 spoon of batter and spread a little bit.

- Make a small size pancake and drizzle a little bit of ghee from the side.

-  wait for some time until the chilla start to leave the edges from bottom. 

- Then flip it and toast until it becomes crispy.

- For baby keep it moist and soft. 

Besan palak Chilla is ready. Serve it with homemade curd.

--------

Nutrition Value : 

Palak aka spinach provide vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K which improves immunity and iron level too in your baby body.

Besan aka chickpea flour protein packed and easy to digest. Don't forget to add ajwain for good digestion. It improves immunity. Beneficial with cold and cough. 

BLW Palak Chilla



Some points to be remember while preparing this dish 

- You may add or omit any masala. Keep your measurements according to your preference.

- You can make it thin like a dosa or can make it thick like a pancake. It depends on your baby likes. 

- If you are serving it for the first time then make it thick and try to keep it soft. So that baby can easily chew it.

- If your baby is 12 months + then make it as per the babies preference. You know very well babies taste and preference keeps on changing.



Questions for the day :


What do you prefer to feed your babies pancake or traditional chilla? 


--------

Follow MemoryFlies on Instagram 


---------------

This blog post is part of the blog challenge ‘Blogaberry Dazzle’
hosted by Cindy D’Silva and Noor Anand Chawla
.  







©Neeta Kadam. This article and image are the property of Memory Flies. Any unauthorized use or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author is strictly prohibited.





Comments

  1. Interesting way to get kids to eat palak and a very interesting recipe as well. I am surely going to try it out soon,.T hanks for sharing the healthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Always have to find these way to feed toddlers. Try it.

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of making chilla/pancakes for both baby and adults – brilliant! It's all about convenience and unity at mealtime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post for new moms. I've moved past the breastfeeding weaning phase, and I enjoyed introducing traditional foods to my kids. It warms my heart to see that even now, as they've grown, they still have a deep fondness for chilla, often choosing it over the more common pancakes.
    -Anjali

    ReplyDelete
  4. We like palak chillas, even though we don't have any babies in the house. It really is a nutrient packed pancake. And so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My baby runs with the sight of green in his food!! Jokes apart, very healthy this looks. Saved for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The spinach puree suggested by you should be easy enough for a baby to move around with their limited chewing and will provide the necessary nutrition too, nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this recipe. Sometimes we reach a deadend when it comes to feeding baby. I find this recipe perfect for adults too just alter spice level a bit and its a wholesome breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything you write is so genuine and heartfelt Neeta... I really like to read your blogs as I can see your feelings pouring out in them. I have never tried making chillas... since your recipe is very easy, I will begin with this.
    -Kaveri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️🤗 you made my day Kaveri. You know I always feel my blog post are different. Glad you loved it.

      Delete
  9. Neeta you came with the right post for this frustrated mommy who is still in complete confusion what to feed and what not. I am using my mommy instinct and few of my mom's tips to feed my baby. What I understood from my 1 and half year journey as mommy is that there is no specific food other than some fruits which my son I am sure loves. Today he is Ok with dal chawal, but in next round when you will feed him this his tantrum starts to taste something different. I am still in the process of understanding my babies food choices. But I feel this palak Chilla is something he will definitely love to go with and I too love palak. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats an easy receipe idea fr kids.. wast to make and dosent takes much of time too

    ReplyDelete
  11. An easy recipe and nutritious too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids used to be very curious what we were eating. I used to give them the same food in softer form. The palak chilla looks good for adults too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting I need to try the palak version. I have had the one without palak.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The chilla looks good for grown ups too. Adding palak is a great way to include vegetables in the kids' diet. Mom used to do that quite often with pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These definitely are super delicious. I love adding veggies to dosas and chillas. A very nice way of incorporating healthy veggies in kids meals..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have tried chilla and its very healthy. Never tried by adding palak this looks healthy will surely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your post on Baby-Led Weaning with traditional foods is informative and practical. I appreciate the recipe and tips for feeding babies and adults simultaneously. It's a great resource for parents navigating this phase. Keep sharing your valuable insights!

    ReplyDelete
  18. interesting dish this is. truly, everyone's culture is very different from another. I applaud your though as it's full of healthy good stuff. Great stuff! My daughters got mashed veggies when they're younger. - MommyWithAGoal

    ReplyDelete
  19. This seems to be a great, simple, tasty and healthy recipie for children. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is an excellent food item. I am a big fan of both palak and chila (green, iron and protein) and combining them both makes it a super food! Gonna try it with my kids

    ReplyDelete
  21. My sister in law is weaning her child now. I am sending the link to the post to her. She is going to love this healthy and tasty dish. In fact I think I shall make it for .my kids too. It is the powerhouse of nutrients

    ReplyDelete
  22. This appears to be an excellent, uncomplicated, flavorful, and nutritious recipe for kids. It certainly looks appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the right way to give protein and a healthy diet to the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm very fond of eating chillas myself but have never tried this palak variation. Will try it now! Thanks for sharing.
    Noor

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty of Kashmir

Baby Shower

Learning Activities for Preschoolers

Bhatukali in vacation

Happiness is selfmade